Jorge Sandoval MNZM - Race Director
Jorge Sandoval MNZM has lived in New Zealand for the past 34 years. Has been the Race Director and has conducted all 25 International Cycle Classic to a quality never seen before in New Zealand. Jorge Sandoval is also the Race Director of the NZCT Women's Tour of New Zealand.
He has a wealth of experience in the cycling world, being for many years a racing cyclist himself, competing both in New Zealand and overseas.
He has been Team Manager of New Zealand National Cycling Teams on many occasions. He has also worked for the Hong Kong Cycling Federation in 1993 with their National Team.
Experience and knowledge has been gained by Jorge Sandoval having visited and participated in overseas tours as a rider and Team manager for New Zealand National teams. First hand knowledge of promotional ideas from many international events, including The national Tours of Qinhai and Chongming Island (China), Argentina, Chile, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Australia have been adopted to promote Cycle Tours in New Zealand.
He has developed some invaluable contacts in all areas of the New Zealand sports community and has taken cycling promotions to new levels.
Jorge Sandoval was the winner of the 2006 Sport Wellington Administrator – Sports person of the Year Awards, he also won this award in 1998 and finalist in the 1999 awards, which is testimony to Jorge's professionalism in event management
Jorge Sandoval is responsible for finding sponsorship for all events with which he is involved.
With his vast knowledge and experience in cycling, together with his organisational ability, Jorge Sandoval has a proven track record in sports marketing and promotion.
Recent Successful Achievements – Jorge Sandoval
- January 2007 - Honorary Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit (MNZM)for his services to cycling.
- Finalist - Wellingtonian of the Year 2006.
- Winner of the 1988 and 2006 Sports Wellington Administrator of the Year Award. Finalist in 1999
- Race Director of 24 international Tours of Wellington – Ten of them UCI 2.2 events.
- Race Director of the UCI NZCT Women's Tour of New Zealand - All UCI events
- Race Director Women's World Cup, Wellington 2006 and 2007.
- Race Director of two North Island Cycle Classic, Tour of New Zealand (Auckland to Wellington cycling events), both of them 2.5 UCI events.
- Manager of the 1996 NZ Road Championships and organiser of nine Palmerston North to Wellington cycle classic, four fun races as well as many other club races.
- Manager of NZ national teams in New Zealand and overseas events.
- Organiser of international soccer series in Melbourne and Sydney 2002.
- Organiser of the international Soccer game between Chile and the Auckland Kingz, Sept 2000.
- Organiser Oceania Boxing Championships, 1998
- Competitor in overseas tours.
- Winner Oakley Trophy Cycling, Cycling Administrator of the Year.1987 – 1992
- Winner of the Shona Laing Trophy for service to women's cycling in New Zealand
Read about Jorge Sandoval's book - Surviving Pinochet, by Peter Bidwell.